Mobile Menu play pause
Established 1906

Where history and service meet.

The Guitar Ranches were started by John Guitar, Sr. He was born in Carrollton, Missouri in 1866. In 1890 he moved to Abilene, Texas and entered into the cotton business. He purchased the Big Spring ranch in 1906 and then purchased the Dell City ranch in 1927. He owned several ranches in the Carlsbad, New Mexico area which he operated in the 1920’s. In 1934, he purchased the Colbert Ranch at Spur, Texas. He owned numerous farms in West Texas.

John’s youngest son, Earl, also ranched in the Abilene area. Earl and his wife, Anita owned and operated the Grissom Ranch east of Abilene where they raised registered Hereford cattle. Earl’s son, Phil, now operates the Grissom Ranch and other ranches where he and his wife, Jane run a commercial Angus cow/calf operation.

The History of the Guitar Ranch